Monday, April 2, 2012

Arrival

Coming into sparkling Dubai, all gleaming white marble and shiny steel---the call to prayer echoing thru the airport---I learned that I could not pick up my luggage. Because our connection to Kenya left in less than 24 hours, they preferred to keep it for me. The next day we arrived in the jangle that is Nairobi and the luggage belt broke, so my luggage somewhere in the maze. After two hours of asking every baggage official I could find where my luggage might be, I found a young woman in the neon-baggage-official vest to help me. She promptly asked for my baggage tags and disappeared into the throng. Just when I was sure I had made a huge mistake handing over my luggage tags, she reappeared, my bags in hand---giving me hope for Kenya's future. Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment